In this session, Guy Martin, Senior Open Source Strategist from Samsung's Open Source Group, will present information that new open source developers and managers need to know to jump-start their work in open source communities. Specifically, the session will cover information and strategies for:
- Understanding open source development models and how they differ
- from proprietary/closed models
- Finding the right open source communities for you to work with
- Effectively communicating and collaborating with those communities
- Getting your contributions/patches accepted 'upstream'
- Basic community etiquette
- Balancing the needs and desires of your company and the community
The content will be drawn from materials used in Martin's previous consulting experience at Red Hat and also training materials that are currently being used internally at Samsung to increase the number of open source contributors at the company. Participants will come away from this course with a solid understanding of these fundamental concepts and some hints on how to apply them in their own companies.